Monday, July 19, 2004

fresh from nyc. having just finished the last page of a long sought-after copy of the marc spitz novel "how soon is never?" (i started it on the plane home), i am already wishing i could have stayed. 
 
perhaps my last visit to nyc - some six? years ago... seven? - it was still entirely too early in my theatre existence to realize what a perfect atmosphere it could be for me.  don't get me wrong, the call of england is still louder and more pronounced, but maybe i have found my stepping stone.  within hours of being there i already felt like a native.  i quickly found that i could navigate the city like a pro.  in 120 minute's time i managed to get to the pop shop (an all keith haring store manned by total fucking snobs who fretted if i so much as unfolded a tshirt to see if it would fit me), the relocated cafe sin-e (where despite said relocation i could still  feel the ghost of mr. buckley), AND get to chelsae to meet my beloved friend nikki for some upright citizen's brigade sketch comedy - all on foot - all in the pouring rain - all with little map assistance.  i felt soooo new york.
 
time spent with miss g was fantastic.  the show at UCB restored my faith in comedy/ensemble-driven theatre.  not that any place like that that i am associated with has lost its touch completely, but we could all use the kind of inspiration that those guys instilled in me on wednesday night.  for crying out loud - it was a wednesday night show at 930 and it was packed!  and f-in hilarious.  and the smart kinda funny.... abstract teenagers dating surrealists against their parent's wishes, confusion over a black peter pan - sure you had to be there, but... well, i guess you had to be there. 
 
(you did not have to be there for the nonsense that ensued thereafter.  may i never blackout on any of you.or at all period.   it felt like spring break, senior year, night 1 all over again.  only i have no funny stories about people chasing drag queens this time.)
 
we also managed to catch an incredible shakespeare in the park performance of "much ado" featuring any number of nbc/abc primetime stars (sam waterston of law and order, jimmy smits, the list goes on) who actually comprehended the text!  amazing.  it truly was an incredible production.  in fact, it served as just another reminder of the good things that could await me if i decided to take a detour on my way to the UK.
 
after that i hung out with nik and some of her fam.  mrs. robinson was pushing with all of her might against the door i had her locked up behind... nik has a LOVELY cousin from switzerland who's 19.  precious in every way.  and though her other cousin kept soliciting him to me, i thought nicole might hurt me if i let ole maggie may out of her cage.  so i contained myself, only to learn that the idea excited my friend to no end.  damn.
 
i have always said that nik is perhaps the most beautiful person i know.  there's something about that whole european/asian combination that renders straight beauty. her whole family are gorgeous, and my god - the boy was half swiss - all that preciousness with blonde hair and brown eyes to boot.  if only i had had a little more to drink.  but wednesday night's events after UCB made me weary of drinking too much too fast with little on my tummy.  god - i make it sound like i blacked out, huh?  rest assured it was neither myself nor nicolee.
 
after closing up two places, we hit an all night diner with one other member of the entourage and walked home in new daylight to her temp place and slept off the stout until it was time to rise for brunch in the city with another oglethorpian and then send me back off to laguardia. 
 
other highlights of nyc - i lost my mind in the union square virgin megastore and spent too much money.  found the reindeer section (scottish supergroup with snow patrol's lead singer, whose voice melts my insides), snow patrol (did i mention the lead singer's voice?), and a book i have been looking for for ages (the afore-mentioned "how soon is never?"  -  good book, if the writer does go a bit too far identifying the artist of every song he mentions... saw an off-broadway show that was interesting... and did not - i repeat DID NOT - get any.
 
thanks to nik though, for making it a kick-ass trip anyway!
 
now, back to my blog neglecting.
 
 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home