Tuesday, September 27, 2005

no more bread, no more coffee, no more beer... seems so sad...

but not really so much.

when i lost the bulk of my weight a couple of years ago, a lot good came out of it. some bittersweet good... but good nonetheless. not just the general look better, more energy that weight loss begets, but my body had apparently been telling me things for years that i guess got muffled under all that flab and insecurity.

anyone who's sat across from me at the dinner table knows exactly what i am talking about.

once upon a time, i endured tummy problems after almost every meal. one would have thought it was just the abundance of junk i was eating, but the more i tried to "eat right" - getting a turkey sandwich and a cup of soup instead of a #8 from mcdonald's with strawberry soda - the worse it got. after four years or so of bloat and lethargy, i finally decided it was all linked to my girth somehow and decided to take drastic measures. while i do not advocate it for everybody, nor do i intend to create a shrine to the no-carb gods, atkins was the road i took and that begot more than some shed poundage.

when after a week i noticed that my meals were pain-free and my tummy wasn't violently resisting me any longer... it occurred to me to try an experiment.

at a comfortable point with 20 pounds off, i bought a sandwich. on whole wheat. imagine being rudely awoken from the most pleasant, dream-filled sleep you've ever experienced. yeah, that's what my stomach said too!

no bread. baby don't tolerate wheat or gluten. oh, well. hooray for rice.

and now thai food has become a dietary staple; i cannot begin to imagine why it never was before. and my honey makes some mean fried rice. the loss feels less and less. the only time i truly yearn for bread - poached eggs. they just aren't the same without buttered toast.

same with coffee. frou-frou $4-latte coffee is not so much a problem, as long as i keep it tall. but your run-of-the-mill employee-hallway stuff... uh-uh. not havin' it. not even the weakest of crappy office coffee is weak enough for the likes of me.

thus what was once a love cultivated across the pond has of late become daily ritual. when i am feeling sluggish, it's time for my morning/afternoon tea. the desk drawer immediately down and to the right of my head is packed to the gills with numerous varieties of the black stuff. maybe no one else gets why they drive on the other side of the road/car or put "u"s where they don''t seem necessary (colour) - but there's no denying that the english have it down when it comes to two things: breakfast and caffeination.

ok - well, i like to think i get the left-side driving thing... oh, nevermind... that's a whole other post all to itself.

i do miss beer, though. there is no decent substitute for a good ale or especially for a good stout (guinness=life). my appreciation for wine has increased immeasurably, but it still just ain't the same (and it always gives me a headache if i have enough to invoke tipsiness or beyond... no matter how schmancy the label is). plus you can never look cool at a show hanging on to a bottle of cider or a glass full o' pink stuff...

but at least i can't get a beer belly if i don't drink it...

so with my cup of vanilla infused black tea and a pizza in my sights that i intend to relieve of its cheesy-topping goodness, i say, "this ain't so bad."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home