Monday, September 19, 2005

a bad case of the crud has had me floating through the last few days in Robitussin haze... i think i grasp why it once so popular with my parents' high school peers... that stuff can make you feel pretty trippy and jittery.

so i have been absent for a couple fo days in spite of my birthday resolution topost at least something every day... so as to avoid overwhelming my reader(s) with acerbic and/or cracked-out, illness-related crabbiness-induced ranting.

but here's a little something i find myself wanting to say... this should probably be reserved for my music blog, but it relates to post from "chronicles" past - one where i went ballistic because commercial radio is this close (fingers make less than inch gesture) to making me hate snow patrol... well, sometimes the sun shines and commercial radio suddenly forgets bands as fast as they snatched them up like an overtly spoiled brat with christmas toys... and they have. and i can love them again.

this realization came to me as i was listening to travis the other day - a band which i adore and certainly lose hipster points for doing so - and i remembered when this happened to them. and how happy i am that they had their mild american success and yet didn't get flogged about like a coldplay (next U2 my ass... we'll see wher they are in 25 years and then determine that)...

so this my "i love you" to those bands whose brief american triumph brought them into my life, and for whom my adoration did not taper off when their u.s. popularity as a whole did...

to my travis, my placebo, my catherine wheel. to my beloved supergrass (especially). to suede. even to the smiths... to badly drawn boy and manic street preachers and even to radiohead, though they may seem bigger than life still.

this list is not limited to those born across the atlantic, either. to jason falkner, mark kozelek, and our dear departeds jeff and elliott.

underappreciated and yet appreciated moreso for it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home