Tuesday, October 18, 2005

sent to me by jerry this morning:

From: Jerry
> Sent: Tuesday, October 18, 2005 9:37 AM
> To: Heidi
> Subject: for you:

It's the birthday of the playwright Wendy Wasserstein, (books by this
author) born in Brooklyn, New York (1950). She's best known for her play The Heidi Chronicles. She said, "I loved the theater. I just didn't think you could do it as a profession. I thought that I would marry a lawyer or be one and do productions of Guys and Dolls at my local suburban playhouse."

But she took a playwrighting course in college and struggled to make it as a playwright in New York City. During her years of struggle, she was watching as most of her friends and siblings got married and had children. She thought a lot about what she'd sacrificed by devoting herself to theater, and that became the subject of The Heidi Chronicles.

happy birthday, miss namesake!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home