Sunday, October 16, 2005

for god only knows what reason, i had the bad extreme ballad "more than words" stuck in my head in the shower this morning. perhaps something i read in SPIN? about nuno bettencourt being in some new supergroup (if it can indeed be called that... no offense to nuno, who i actually respect as a musician and who time has certainly not made less hot if you ask me...)

it reminded me of one of my favorite rants, which i am sure if you know me, you're pretty damned tired of. but here it is in writing so i need never force you to endure it again:

be prepared for many a derailment on our way to my point.

for god knows what reason (de ja vu, anybody?) i found myself listening to the local "lite rock" station on my way home one night. most likely i was flipping around and i managed to catch a journey song somewhere along the way. unlike most of the other idols of my childhood, i will never abandon my love of steve perry. ever! bryan adams got kicked to the curb with that lame-ass robin hood ballad, and my love affair with prince just morphed into some respect-type thing... but no matter what, steve perry will always live in my heart. so it was him or that chicago song i love so much...

back to my point.

it was the dedication hour hosted by some nitwit who calls herself lila or something of that nature. a lady emailed in or called - who knows - about how her husnband had just gone through this awful loss in his family and she just wanted to dedicate a song to him that expressed just how special he was to her, etc etc. a beautiful if not trite sentiment. only she thought our friend lila an expert and finding herself unable to come up with anything asked that she choose the song. oh. mistakes we make.

our "expert" chose "more than words."

anyone ever listened to those lyrics?

my guess is that lila thinks "every breath you take" by the police or "possession" by sarah mclachlan are great prom themes, too! nevermind they're written from the point of view of people so in love THEY ARE STALKING THEIR AFFECTION OBJECTS!!!!

and nevermind that she picked a song for htis lady to dedicate to her husband that says "you wouldn't have to tell me you love me ... IF YOU'D JUST FUCK ME." (c'mon people, it's the theme song for every teenage boy in the world who's ever had a girlfriend who wasn't "ready yet...")

point being: ballads are pretty, yes. but let's not assume that because the music is lovely that the necessarily contain harmless "i love yous" before we go off dedicating them and using them to celebrate things... the wrong message could be construed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home