Sunday, August 07, 2005

unfortunately there are moments in my life that cause my faith in humanity to fail. when those happen at work (i work at what amounts to a children's theatre)... it becomes even more devastating.

an excerpt from a conversation i had with two patrons earlier this week:
(note: statements are not verbatim, but damn near close)

"can we get a raincheck? our children were terrified by this production of alladin. and all of those references to allah were very offensive to us, because we are christians."

(heidi says nothing, grabs rainchecks and begins to date them for validation)

"can you tell me where they got the story? i don't understand why they deviated from the Disney version..."

"they took it from the classic tale ma'am. aladdin is an arabian fairy tale." (and i continue stamping rainchecks, avoiding eye contact for fear they will notice the incredulous look on my face and the fact that i am finding it difficult to stifle my laughter.)

(lady looks at me incredulously as if to say 'huh?')

"we are not inthe business of recreating Disney's versions of fairy tales, ma'am. it's illegal and not very creative. we - or in this case the National xxxxxx Theatre, who actually produced this show and whom we are presenting - chose to craft their own telling of the classic ARABIAN tale. here are you rainchecks."

(and under my breath - 'thank you for breeding hate and ignorance into the future population.')

as the bumper sticker so eloquently puts it, "Jesus protect me from your followers."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home