Tuesday, March 15, 2005

I am obsessed with music. One might say unnaturally so. Pressed to choose between them, food would fall fast to the wayside over the Jeff Buckley collection Case has taken such care to procure for me.

A truly beautiful song will make me cry. You should see me when the Beatles? ?Something? is on the radio. George is a master at welling me up. I adopt dance anthems and happy songs. I spend more money on concert tickets than perhaps anything else? the list I mentioned a couple of post back is currently at 121 and counting. Music Midtown can really make that list pretty tricky.

I am also one of those obnoxious folks who go berzerk when a song/band they love surface on commercial or ? gasp! ? top 40 radio. Not to sit in denial, I readily confess that part of it is that feeling that I no longer possess some special information that the rest of the world is not privy to ? I no longer get to be one who introduces people to the wonders of Snow Patrol or whomever?. But the truest of truths is that I know that the heavier the rotation Dave FM or 99x or whoever puts that song in, the faster I will find myself sneering at the sound of the first few chords when I catch whilst channel flipping as I drive home from work each day.

My favorite song on the latest Snow Patrol album has recently surfaced so. I am not pleased. Now the world knows about my Gary Lightbody and I will have to fight even more 14-year-old girls for a place on the venue floor from which my short ass can actually see. That?s more purses, more talking through the show, more of my rules violated and less I can enjoy them. Snow Patrol them. Wow?. And I accuse some of you guys of being over-analytical?.

Anyway?. Though it is not necessarily a directly related tangent, I begin today?s list post. Inspired by my most recent concert experience with my much beloved roommate - Hot Hot Heat on Sunday night ? and my utter distaste for what I thought might be a pretty good opening band? wait. Separate tangent for a moment?.

So, have I ever mentioned that for most of my adolescent/young adult life my dream was to be a rock journalist? Yep. Me and Cameron Crowe. Same dream. Only he had Lester bangs and I had Geri Hall. I coulda had Lester Bangs, but then, I wasn?t really born yet. So that fucked that all up for me. Well, what?ll ya do? So in the spirit of that dream, I continue my briefly abandoned point.

It?s a kinda exciting time for the rock and roll children such as myself. The past decade or so has had it gems, but most have proven to fairly stamina-less, sadly. Can I tell you how much August and Everything After shaped my late teens? Can I tell you how much those guys SUCK lately? Sure, Radiohead are still around and still never cease to dazzle the hell out of me?. Elliott and Jeff, but we can only now glean the greatness they?d be giving us now. And they are all of them exceptions rather than rules.

But now?. Now there is really a pretty decent surplus of pretty decent and even phenomenal music being offered up. Ben Gibbard is an absolute poet. Everything the man puts his hand in is magnificence to me. My North Irish husband, Mr. Lightbody. Hot Hot Heat. Friggin? Interpol!!!!!

And with the good come the impostors. The bands who are hyped and get SPIN cover stories and I think to myself, ?You must be kidding!?

So, finally ? here?s my list of hype I just don?t get. Conner Oberst fans, please don?t come after me in lynch mobs.

1. JET. Thanks, but Oasis are still making albums. The world does not need you yet. Even the Gallagher brothers waited 25 years for the Beatles to break up first.

2. THE KILLERS ? Are you fucking kidding me? I wrote better lyrics when I was 13 and wanted to be Joan Jett.

3. VELVET REVOLVER ? Such potential. An example of the syndrome I mentioned before that ran rampant in the late 90?s.

4. BRIGHT EYES ? That sounding like I am gonna burst into tears at any moment thing is cool on one song or 3. But albums-worth of it? I can?t bear it.

5. LOUIS THE XIV ? Wow. They are just a bad live band.


And to balance it all out?. 5 bands who give me hope for the future of rock and roll.

1. THE DECEMBERISTS ? Hooray. I love a story. By the way, I have a funny russian boy story about these guys I will have to share soon.

2. HOT HOT HEAT ? More fun than you can shake your and all your friends? asses at.

3. INTERPOL ? Sex incarnate x 4. I daresay x 8 when they are on a stage 50 feet in front of you.

4. SNOW PATROL ? Have I mentioned how this blog was on its way to becoming the unofficial ?I heart Gary Lightbody? site? That damn voice. Makes my knees buckle.

5. ok. I can?t narrow this down. Let me make a short sub list: Death Cab, Pinback, Franz, VHS or Beta, oh my god it could go on forever??

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home